The SmartLab 3 is a highly versatile multipurpose X-ray diffractometer with built-in intelligent guidance. It offers continued refinement of the original ease of use features that enabled the original SmartLab to receive the R&D 100 Award in 2006: automatic alignment, component recognition, cross beam optics and a five axis goniometer.
HyPix-400: Next generation 2-D detectorWith the SmartLab 3, Rigaku introduces the HyPix-400, a semiconductor hybrid pixel array detector that was specifically designed for multipurpose X-ray diffractometers. Its large active area, high angular resolution and ultra-high dynamic range make it the perfect, affordable, 2-D detector solution for a large variety of applications, including powder and thin film diffraction.
5-axis goniometer gives additional information on thin film samples
This design enables the thin-film researcher to perform an “in-plane” scan, where the detector rotates in a plane parallel to the sample surface. This experimental configuration provides unique information for thin film materials; e.g., in-plane lattice constants and in-plane preferred orientation as a function of depth from the sample surface. If you are interested in thin film diffraction, this is a feature that will give you information that cannot be obtained on competitive diffractometers.
Maximize your uptime
Changing hardware configurations or consumables on some diffractometers is so daunting that people often invite their service engineer to perform the task. This can be costly and time consuming. The optics configuration on the SmartLab 3 is self-aligned. From the tube height to the monochromator alignment, all of the optics alignment is done automatically under computer control. This feature drastically reduces down time and cost of ownership of the instrument, and it allows you to be confident that your instrument will always be in aligned condition.
- Cross-beam optics module switches between Bragg-Brentano and parallel beam without the need to change optics.
- HyPix-400 2-D detector enables seamless switch between 0-D, 1-D and 2-D detection mode depending on application type.
- D/teX Ultra 250 1-D detector accelerates powder diffraction by a factor of 250 in speed and provides adjustable energy resolution of approximately 20% or 4% depending on sample type.
- Integrated intelligent User Guidance software enables fully automated measurement including optics and sample alignment.
- 5th axis or in-plane axis enables the analysis of surface structure and its depth profile.
- Self-aligned optics maximize instrument uptime and minimize cost of ownership.